Monday 26 November 2012

Come Draw with Me!- Catherine Rayner

Last week I had the great opportunity to meet one of my favourite illustrators- Catherine Rayner, at Edinburgh's 'Come draw with me!' event. Held at the National Museum of Scotland (perhaps the best museum Ive ever been in)in the animal world section. A few other artists were also at the event, so its a shame that all the workshops were held at the same time.

The Catherine Rayner workshop meant that I got to draw some of the taxidermy and then turn them into characters. Catherine was lovely, and very easy to talk to- and it was brilliant to be able to see a sneak-peek of her upcoming book about a giraffe! Catherine was kind enough to bring along a few of her sketchbooks to see her work in progress (I loved how most of the work was on separate pieces of paper, then slotted in the book- which is exactly what I do!)and examples of her other work.

I wish that the event had been longer- being able to sit in the museum after closing-hours when its near empty is brilliant. I could have drawn the animals all day! The event was finished off with wine and a chance to wander round and see everyone elses drawings. The atmosphere of the event was so casual and friendly, I'd certainly travel to go to another event.

Check out catherine's website if you havent seen it before: [Link]

Heres some of my sketches from the event:

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, but it was the drinks at Frankenstein's afterwards that made it :p x

    No offence Catherine...

    ReplyDelete